Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Big girl bed #2

We officially now have only one child left in a crib. Well, technically, that one has never slept in a crib yet, but she's the only one left. We had to put Miss Audrey in a her "big girl" toddler bed unexpectedly yesterday. When I went to get her out from her nap, she had so much leg and lower torso over the rail, I know for sure she could kamikaze out of there. And of course, I was immediately gripped by "The Fear," as so appropriately named by the ladies of Rants from Mommyland (a favorite blog I read.)

As defined on their blog: "The Fear: irrational, all-consuming anxiety that something awful may happen to the little terror suspects (or their father). Sex offenders, drunk drivers, and enemy combatants among those who inspire The Fear. Results in statements like; "No you may NOT walk to the mailbox without a grown-up. I don't care if you are in High School."

The Fear is basically the way that I am always scared poopless that something horrible is going to happen to my children. So of course, my great fear at this point was that leaving the crib up for one second longer would result in my child possibly falling out and breaking her neck and killing herself. Likely to happen--absolutely not. But will I worry about it incessantly and not be able to sleep if my child is in that crib one more time--you bet!

So within an hour, the crib was converted to toddler bed. I guess I should be glad we made 2 years and 3 months still in a crib! So far, no big issues except that when she wakes up, she gets up and begins beating on the door. No more letting her just play in there for a few minutes after waking. When she's up, she's out!

Now, if we could just get Stella to sleep longer than 3-hour intervals at this point, we could move her fanny to the crib....

1 comment:

  1. Thats a pretty reasonable fear.. Noah's always trying to climb over the back of the couch.. ugh. My fear? him being in a toddler bed and climbing on a dresser or bookshelf and it falling off of him and Adam thinks I'm crazy. I need to rearrange and figure out how to nail that sh*% to the wall..

    ReplyDelete